Online Video Poker Guide
Online Video Poker combines the fast-paced action of Slots with the strategy of standard poker. One of its most unique aspects in terms of a video betting option is the fact that its Jacks or Better variation has one of the lowest house edges in the casino. In fact, its house edge is a mere 0.46%, which is even lower than eight deck Blackjack and way lower than European Roulette. You wouldn’t think that a video game would have such favourable odds: you can bet a small amount and have the chance to win a huge amount much like in Slots, but Video Poker breaks from the mould. Essentially, the online version of the game is the same as you would find in traditional casinos. However, there are more options online and there’s no waiting in line if the machines are taken. With the availability of online Video Poker, we’re hard-pressed to understand why anyone in the Australian online casino community would bother traveling to a casino to play it.
Video Poker Basics
The game itself looks a lot like a Slot machine at first glance. Actually, it is similar to the classic Slots in the sense that you have to set the number of coins that you want to play and the value of the coins you bet with. You can play up to five, and playing all five unlocks the highest fixed jackpot, which is usually 4,000 coins. The coin value of your wagering coins is the same as the coins that you win, so the higher the coin value, the higher the winnings. When the coin values are set, you press the deal button. You will receive five cards, and here is where the strategy comes in to play. By clicking the card, you hold onto it, and by choosing not to click the card, you will replace it when you press the draw button. You can choose to keep as many as all the cards, or replace as many as all the cards. The object of the game is to build the best possible poker hand that applies to the pay table above the card. The better the hand, the higher the payout. For example, in Jacks or Better, a pair of Jacks or better wins your money back. A Royal Flush, when playing with max coins, wins the 4,000-coin jackpot.
Midnight Tips on Online Video Poker:
At the end of each game description, I give a few of my tried-and-true tips that can increase Australian players’ advantage at online casinos. Here are some for you:
- Play Jacks or Better if you want the variation with the lowest house edge. If you prefer the higher stakes version, then play the Double Bonus variations.
- If you win your money back, it can make sense to go double or nothing. If you win more than that, we recommend keeping it.
- Always, always, always play the max number of coins. Always. Even if it’s not the max bet, play all five. It’s better to play five coins valued at $0.25 each than one coin valued at one dollar. Spend the extra quarter.
- Practice in the free demo mode before you play with real money. While it’s fast-paced and approachable, the strategy requires some practice for effectiveness.
- Some strategies involve sacrificing a winning hand in the hopes of a hand that will pay out higher. This is an advanced strategy. Practice a lot before you attempt this.
- Set a time limit on how long you bet, and walk away when you’ve burned through your set budget. After a winning streak, walk away. Smart betting is knowing when to stop, because the longer you play, the more the odds are against you.